Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I'm slowly getting this blog thing and trying to catch up on what I've missed.
Tom has been sharing a new German word or grammer lesson each week and I thought it would be fun to pass those along.
So far we have....

Doner - -(with a little line above the "o" but I don't know how to make my computer do that) which is Tom's favorite sandwich. It's kind of like a Gyro. Here's what he says about it. "They take a giant mish of random meats and stick it together then put it on a big spit, raw. The spit turns the meat slowly in a heating device and cooks the outer most layer. They shave off some meat, put it in a Doner bun, (kind of like a fat tortilla cut open) and stick veggies and sauce in there and it is so tasty!" "I love eating them!"

ThunFisch Pizza - Tuna Fish Pizza. Hasn't wanted to try one of these yet.

Bahn - Subway

Das Gefangnis (little line above the "a" in Gefangnis) - The prison

Doch - pronounced "dough-K" This is what he says about it. "There is no English equivalent for this word. What it does when said is the following: It positives a negative and affirms a positive. Example: If you say "I am not a fast runner", and I say "doch!", that means "Yes!" You are a fast runner because doch cancels the negative "not" in the sentence. If you say "I'm so fat" and I say "doch!", that means "Yes!" You are so fat because doch affirms the sentence because the sentence is positive." "This is one of my favorite German words."

Tausche - trade

Schlag - to hit

1 comment:

  1. That doch thing is con.fus.ing but it's cool to learn new words. Now when my boys hit each other I can say, "don't schlag your brother!" and hope that I am pronouncing it right.

    ReplyDelete